If you are using Maps on your iPhone, this means that, well, the address you were searching for doesn’t exist. However, this question is most prominently related to Find My Friends (found under Find My on iOS 15 and later) and it concerns users reporting that they get the “No location found” when looking for someone that shares the location with them. The answer is rather simple and we made sure to expand on it below.
- How to find Lost iPhone Without Find My iPhone
- “No Location Found” in Find My? Here’s what to do
Why does someone’s location say no location found?
First of all, some users wanted to know the difference between “No location found” and “Location not available”, which are, in the case of Find My, completely the same. What happened so you got the Location not found or the Location not available? The person that stopped sharing their location with you has either:
- Disabled Location Services
- Disable Wi-Fi or Mobile data and network is necessary for Find My to work.
- Turned off their iPhone or iPad or just enabled Airplane Mode.
There’s no way for you to know which of the 3 is the case unless they disclose it.
Sometimes, the problem might also come from the third side (e.g. service issues) but that’s not exactly a frequent occurrence. Some things to also consider are:
- Precise Date & Time settings. The best way is to always default to Set Automatically. To do that, navigate to Settings > General > Date & Time.
- Temporary app/system problem on your side which should be mitigated with a restart. Once your iPhone boots again, open the Find My app and check if it can locate your friend.
- You can also try removing the person and adding them again. There are more steps there to consider, so make sure to check the article.
At the end of the day, it’s mostly because that other person did one of the 3 aforementioned steps which, practically, made them untraceable. If we are talking about children, there’s a way to prevent disabling Location but not network connection with Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Location Services. If you choose Don’t Allow Changes, they won’t be able to turn off Location Services on their iPhones.
With that said, we can conclude this article. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to leave us your feedback in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in May 2022. We made sure to revamp it for freshness and accuracy.