- Sadly, you can’t make Google Photos the default app on your iPhone. That spot is reserved for the Photos app.
- The apps that can be changed at this current time are the default Mail app, Keyboard, or Browser.
- The fact that Google Photos are not the default app in its category doesn’t change anything. You can still use the app to back up and access your photos and videos.
Google Photos are probably the primary cloud gallery on Android, but what if you want to make it the default option on your iPhone? Is this possible and how exactly you can utilize this app on your iPhone? Learn below.
How do I change the default photo app on my iPhone?
With iOS 14 and later, users have the option to change some default apps but this doesn’t apply to the default Photos/Gallery app. This means that if you want to preview photos and videos from Camera, you’ll always see them in Apple Photos. If you take a photo and like to preview files in Google Photos, you’ll need to open the app.
Google Photos and Apple iCloud Photos can work together without issues, but we suggest choosing one or another for photo and video backup. Unless you have a specific reason to back up the same files to 2 different cloud galleries. You can disable iCloud Photo Sync and enable Google Photos Back up & Sync by following these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Select your AppleID account from the top.
- Tap iCloud and then Photos.
- Disable iCloud Photos.
- Now, exit Settings and open Google Photos.
- Tap on your Account icon and select Photos Settings.
- Open Back up & sync.
- Enable Back up & sync.
If you don’t see all your photos in Google Photos, make sure to grant necessary permissions to in-app settings. Here’s how to allow Google Photos access to your local gallery:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Google Photos.
- Tap Photos.
- Toggle All Photos.
- Also, enable Background App Refresh so Google Photos can upload your photos or videos as soon as you take them.
If the app is force-closed, you’ll need to open it to update local photos and videos. With that said, we can conclude this article. Thank you for reading and make sure to leave your comments or post questions in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.