Instagram rarely has issues on iOS but when they occur, they tend to concern fundamental functionality. Recently, we have run into an issue that has more than a few reports. It concerns Instagram notifications. Apparently, Instagram notifications are not working on iPhone for some users. If you are among them, learn more about ways to solve it below.
Why don’t I get Instagram notifications on my iPhone?
1. Restart your iPhone and force close the app
The best start to any troubleshooting is a simple force close of the app followed by a device restart. Unless you meddled with notification settings, all of them (or at least the majority) are enabled by default. So, there’s a chance that the problem is caused by a temporary halt and it’s easily resolved by force closing the app (summon Recent apps and just swipe Instagram away).
Of course, if the issue persists and Instagram notifications are not working on your iPhone, continue to the next step.
2. Check in-app Notification settings
The next thing you should check is in-app notification settings. Although slight, there’s a chance that you’ve changed something on your own or settings mixed up if you use multiple devices.
Locating Notification settings is simple and all notification options are self-explanatory so you’ll know what you want and what you don’t want to see.
Here’s where to find Notification settings on Instagram for iOS:
- Open Instagram.
- Tap on your Profile icon at the bottom.
- Tap on the hamburger menu and open Settings.
- Choose Notifications. Once there, confirm that Push notifications are not paused and go through sections to see if particular notifications are disabled.
3. Check System notification settings
If the in-app notification settings seem properly configured, we still need to look into system settings to confirm everything is in order. You can do that by accessing Notification settings or open Instagram settings. Of course, the same principle applies to the in-app settings: you’ll need to enable notifications for Instagram.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap Instagram.
- Select Notifications.
- Make sure that the Allow Notifications option is enabled, along with Lock Screen and Notification Center.
If Instagram notification still won’t work for you, check the next step.
4. Disable Do Not Disturb
Another thing you should inspect is the Do Not Disturb mode. As the name suggests, with it enabled, you won’t be disturbed by notifications for all apps and will be able to get messages and calls from a selected list of contacts.
You can simply disable DND in the Quick Access menu. Just look for the moon icon and make sure to toggle it off.
5. Reinstall Instagram
When it comes to troubleshooting third-party apps, reinstallation is usually a good idea. After you reinstall the app and give it permission, you should be able to get notifications again.
Here’s how to reinstall Instagram on iOS:
- Tap & hold on to the Instagram shortcut to bring the contextual menu. You can do that with the Home Screen shortcut or from the App Library.
- Restart your device and navigate to the App Store.
- Download Instagram again and check for improvements.
6. Reset all settings
Finally, if the issue persists for you and Instagram notifications are still not working, make sure to give a factory reset a try. Instead of going for a full recovery, you can try just the Reset All Settings option.
Here’s how to Reset All Settings on your iPhone:
- Open Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down and tap Reset.
- Tap Reset All Settings and enter your PIN/password when prompted.
- Confirm so your device can reset all system settings.
That should do it. Thank you for reading and feel free to share questions or suggestions in the comments section below.