You can use Outlook Calendar with Google Assistant and get notified about all events but you’ll need to import it to Google Calendar first. Some users on Google Forums were wondering how to do get Outlook to work with Google Assistant. We made sure to explain how to do it in two steps where the first is the export-import procedure and the second one explains how to add it to Google Assistant default calendars. Learn everything below.
Can Google Assistant access my Outlook calendar?
You can use Google Assistant with many different Calendar clients as long as you add the calendar to your Google Calendar. For the time being, Google Assistant can’t use third-party calendars. Luckily, importing calendars is really not too much of a hassle, as long as you know where to look.
How to export Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar
So, to use Outlook Calendar with Google Assistant, you first need to export the calendar and add it to Google Calendar. For this, you’ll need to access Outlook on the web. It can’t be done through the app so you’ll need to use either your PC or use Desktop mode on your phone’s browser. Here’s how to export Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar in a few simple steps:
- Open Outlook on the web and Log in. The link should get you to the Shared Calendars section directly, but if it doesn’t, continue with the steps.
- Once in Outlook, click on the Cog icon at the top right corner and select View all Outlook settings in the right pane.
- Select Calendar from the left pane and click Shared calendars.
- Under the Publish a calendar section, select your calendar from the dropdown menu. Also, under Permissions, choose Can view all details.
- After that, click on Publish, then click on the ICS link and select “Copy link“. Finally, copy the link from the pop-up.
- Now, navigate to Google Calendar and sign in with your Google Account.
- You should see the Other calendars section at the bottom of the left pane.
- Click the + sign over Other calendars and select From URL.
- Paste the ICS link you copied from the Outlook Calendar and select Add Calendar. You should be able to see it in the Other calendars section from now on. Make sure that the box next to it is checked.
If you want to rename the calendar, click on the 3-dots menu next to it and open Settings. You should see the name that can be changed at the top.
How to add Outlook Calendar to Google Assistant
Now that you’ve added an Outlook calendar to Google Calendar, you need to enable it in Assistant Settings. To be precise, you need to add it to the Default calendar option. To access Assistant settings, you can ask the Assistant to open them or follow the instructions we provided below.
Here’s how to add Outlook Calendar to Google Assistant:
- On your phone, open Settings.
- Select Google.
- Tap Settings for Google apps.
- Choose Search, Assistant & Voice.
- Select Google Assistant.
- Locate and open Calendar from the list of available settings.
- Expand your calendars and check the box with the newly-imported Outlook Calendar.
That’s it. From now on, Google Assistant can answer questions, inform you, or notify you about events from the Outlook calendar, as well. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to tell us if this article helped you or not in the comments section below.