Although it got a bit better in terms of stability and optimization, Facebook for Android still has many things that need polishing. Massive storage usage and slow loading speeds are abhorrent but there are even more dire issues plaguing some users. Namely, some users state that the Facebook app keeps logging them out without any notion or reason.
Luckily, we have a few steps to recommend that should help you fix the problem at hand. If they don’t help, you better take some time to write a bug report to Facebook and hope that they will deal with it eventually.
Table of contents:
- Change your password
- Clear data from the Facebook app
- Reinstall Facebook
- Report the problem to Facebook
Why does Facebook keep logging me out on Android?
If the Facebook app keeps logging you out, make sure to change your password and log out of all devices. If that doesn’t help, clear local data or reinstall the app.
Don’t forget to report the problem to Facebook, since they are probably at fault for this occurrence considering all the steps you took didn’t fix it.
1. Change your password
The first thing to do and do is immediately change your password. After that, make sure to log out of all your devices. Your account might be compromised and the first step in fixing that is a new password.
Here’s how to change the password on Facebook for Android:
- Open Facebook.
- Tap on the hamburger menu at the top and open Settings.
- Select Password and Security.
- In the Login section, tap Change password.
- Enter your current password at the top box and then enter a new password twice. We suggest mixing up letters and numbers, along with uppercase/lowercase shifts to make the password stronger.
- After that, tap Update password.
- Return to Password and Security settings and tap “See all” next to the “Where you’re logged in” section.
- Swipe to the bottom and tap Log out of all sessions.
- Log in again.
2. Clear data from the Facebook app
If the problem is internal and an app bug is causing these frequent log-out issues, we suggest clearing local data from the Facebook app. And this app is, probably, the most notorious of all social media networks for keeping an abundance of data locally. This might lead to data corruption and that, consequently, can lead to various issues.
Here’s how to clear local data from Facebook on Android:
- Navigate to Settings > Apps > All apps > Facebook.
- Tap Storage.
- Tap Clear storage. Don’t forget to back up any photos or videos from the Facebook folder in the internal storage. The following action will delete them.
- Once prompted, tap OK.
- Restart your device.
Once the phone boots into the system, open Facebook and log in. In case the Facebook app keeps logging you out, check the next step.
3. Reinstall Facebook
If the previous step failed to address the problem, you can reinstall the app. This can be done from the Home Screen/App Drawer or by navigating to Google Play Store.
Here’s how to reinstall Facebook on Android:
- Open Play Store.
- Locate Facebook.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Restart your device.
- Again, open the Play Store and install Facebook.
- Sign in and wait for some time to see if the app logs you out.
4. Report the problem to Facebook
Finally, if nothing helped, report the problem to Facebook. If the app isn’t working, you can log in to Facebook for Web on your Android phone in a browser or try an alternative app like Facebook Lite.
That should do it. Thank you for reading and be so good to share any alternative solutions or post questions. You can do so in the comments section below.
Editor’s note: This article was initially published in October 2021. We made sure to revamp it for freshness and accuracy.